Aug 31, 2015
Volatility Review: Black Monday Redux
- The Dow Jones Industrial Average briefly
slumped more than 1,000 points, its biggest point-drop ever.
- VIX Cash hit 53.29 at 10am and VIX did not
update for 30 Minutes as options quotes got erratic.
- AAPL hit low of $92 before rebounding.
- VVIX: Hit a high of 212 on Monday 8/24.
- VXUP/VXDN: VXUP did 813k shares on Monday -
- Crude Oil: OVX - 51.80, OIV - 51.12
Volatility Voicemail: Listener questions and
- Question from Inchon55 - Was this the week
that VIX traders have been waiting for? It seems like they have
been buying calls in the 20-strike range all summer with no payoff.
Now we finally got the pop they needed. Will this lead to a flurry
of more call buying in the months to come?
- Question from Jim J - Question for Volatility
Views - This was a crazy week for Vol traders. What was the
craziest thing that jumped out at you?
- Comment from JoeJoe: Why is everyone making
such a big deal about the selloff on Monday? Flash crash? Market
manipulation? That is BS! It is August. Everyone knows the market
is thin in August. Does this really come as a surprise to