Oct 6, 2015
Volatility Review: A look back at the week from a volatility
- Moving up the list - 28 days over 20 in the VIX Cash.
- VIX Options: A relatively light volume week - 500k contracts
most days except for 9/30 - our 1x2 friend is back!
- VIX: Total 7.77m (4.80m Calls, 2.97m Puts)
- SPX: Spot Price = 1920.70. Puts/Calls = 2.53.
- GLD: Spot Price = 108.90. Puts/Calls = 0.40.
- Crude Oil: OIV - 44.81, OVX - 44.75
Volatility Voicemail: Listeners have their say.
- Comment from Mark Brant - Being afraid of selling W1 IV is just
wrong! We are traders, not market makers! Gamma cannot hurt us
selling tight Vertical Spreads!
- Question from Noodles - VIX the tail or the dog? Hello Vol
squad. I was just talking with a few of my trading buddies (all VIX
options traders) and they were complaining that VIX does not
represent SPX volatility anymore. They said that it is its own
beast now because so many people are just trading VIX and VIX
products and not SPX. I thought I would put it to the Vol pros to
settle the debate. Incidentally, I also turned them on to your
program in the process. Bonus points for me. Your insight would be
- Comment from Joe S. - With regard to the listener who wrote in
looking for a good quick Vol calculator - I find the Greeks
breakdown on TOS to be particularly informative for my trading.
Maybe he should try a paper account there to see what he thinks.
Hope that helps him out.
The Crystal Ball: Wild prognostication